From: Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: francobevi francobevi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: drakelist@www.zerobeat.net
Subject: Re: [drakelist] AGC Fault Drake 2-C
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 23:19:18 -0400

Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Frank -

I haven't worked on that many 2-Cs, but it sure sounds like either your MUTE shorting plug "isn't" or possibly the contacts on S-3B aren't making contact! What you're seeing is exactly what I'd expect to see if the MUTE shorting plug was left out. The S meter can drift around with the AGC off, and often moves upscale.

This must be the day for weird Drake problems with Rob's three apparently bad final tubes and your "non-shorting" MUTE plug!!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

Drake B & C-Line Service CDs
<http://www.k4oah.com>

francobevi francobevi wrote:

"francobevi francobevi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Hi guys!

I am trying to repair the agc of a Drake 2-C.

First I notice that in standby the s-meter goes up S9+40, while setting the function switch to ON (or external muting with the muting plug) the s-meter goes to S1 but it moves up to about S5 with the AVC in OFF position when strong signal are heard (that's strange should it really move or stay fixed?? on strong signals distortion is heard). In AVC postion SLOW or FAST the S-Meter goes to S9+40 as in postion STANDBY and nothing is heard.

I measured the voltages at TP1: in position AVC OFF it is -1.35 Volts, and in position AVC SLOW or FAST it is something like between -15 Volts.

I was thinking that the wiring from the function switch to the AGC section could be wrong but before making any change I would like to know what you think it could be.

73, Frank