Guys..

got the tx running, somewhat, $90 worth of new tubes and I have made a couple of contacts with this old radio

but the tx is not running at nearly close to full power

here's what I know

1. the three 12jb6 draw 250-300ma and produce about 25-40 watts, on most bands, 80 meters is much lower
2. replaced most tubes with nos, but not the finals
3. did a quick peak and tweak and all stages seem to peak correctly
4. while drawing current,(250ma) the 12jb6's plates turn red, especially the one in the center.
5. The load control must be fully UNmessed to get power into a 50 ohmload

6. when the audio drive/tx drive control is fully clockwise, there is a squeal in the receive audio

now before I drop $$$$ for a trio of final tubes, is there any place I should be looking??

and... I have way too much s-meter. THe receiver receives just fine, I can easily hear 1uV signal, but a 50 uV signal is pegged

anyway... any thoughts??

looking for a good tube tester... what should I be looking for??

mike

Mike, WB8VGE

SunLight Energy Systems

The Heathkit Shop