hi,

you'll probably get a lot of responses but i'll throw my 2 cents in...

1. the L4/L4B does not have an exhaust system that will keep the tubes cool if
you use something other than SSB on the SSB position.  The plates should show
some color but if they become orange that is too much.  The amp was never
designed to push enough air to meet today's 1500W output limits.

2. never let the grid current go past 300mA

3. 500V is a lot of sag - get some 10 or 12 gauge wire and bring 240V to the
amp.

My old L4 will produce around 1100W on the original 8163 tubes (Amperex
graphite 3-400Z, made in 1968) but this is on a 240V circuit fed with #10 gauge
wire 30 feet from the breaker box.  This output was measured against an LP-100
digital wattmeter to a dummy load.  New RF Parts tubes will produce maybe 1300
but the Drake cooling system is not up to the task of handling this kind of
heat.  Take a look at the photo of my L4: http://n1su.com/tubes/3-400Z-idle.jpg
- notice the glass chimneys have a fluted top that push the air over the anode
heat dissipator (they're curved intentionally). If you have Coleman lantern
glass with straight sides your tubes' anode seals won't get enough air across
them and are going to be put under a lot of stress... and may either fail or
the joint inside the tube where the plate meets the anode pin could deform.
The short answer is "use low voltage mode for everything but SSB" - be sure to
oil the fan motor bearings once a year.  I use Norvey, Inc turbine lubricating
oil (never gums up - go to home depot).

3-400Z / 3-500Z tubes are rated at a max of 140mA grid current each.  300mA
grid current for both tubes is pushing it but full scale is certain death for
the tubes and if you're not careful you will deform the grid cage inside the
tube and short the grid to the filaments, which would do even worse damage.
The grid current increases as the plate voltage decreases - you're having to
push it very hard.  Perhaps the tubes are weak but I think your lower output
power is more likely due to running the amp on 120V.  400mA grid current is
probably splattering all over the band.  You can reduce the grid current by
rotating the LOAD control clockwise until your power drops around 50-100 watts
- this will help the linearity and reduce the grid current but the pressure you
take off the tubes puts pressure on the tuning network.

500V is a lot of sag.  You're probably putting the power supply through some
hard work...  10-3 or 12-3 romex would be a good choice, 14-3 would not be.
Bigger is better.  120V ain't cuttin' it.

hope this helps!

--
73 Jason N1SU
http://n1su.com/