"Jim Pruitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Hello Ron.

Here is a link to Scott's comments about the article:
http://www.dproducts.be/Drake_Museum/tr-7mods.htm

I will paste them below then comment some more after the Prather comments
that are copied from JM Cherry's great Drake web page:

"Improving the Drake TR-7 by Scott D. Prather, N7NB (ex-KB9Y)
Reversible Modifications Enhance Performance
Please Note: The mailing address included on the first page of this article
is no longer current. Please address all correspondence to Scott Prather at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abstract.
The Drake TR-7 is an outstanding all-band, solid-state transceiver that was
a trendsetter when it was unveiled to the amateur radio market in 1978.
However, the TR-7 was not without its problems, some of which included:
Poor receive performance below 1.5 MHz
No full break-in (QSK) CW operation
Compromised signal/noise ratio when using narrow CW filters
High cooling fan noise, and the stock fan operates only when the radio is
powered from an AC source

My article, which originally appeared in the Summer, 1992, issue of
Communications Quarterly, addresses these four problems with modifications
that require no drilled holes, making them 100% reversible.
Notes
Improving the TR-7 is reprinted here in its entirety, and it appears on the
Web with the permission of Communications Quarterly. I scanned the original
19-page paper and converted it into an Adobe ® PDF file. The size of this
file is approximately 1.9 MB, so it will take a while to download if you are
using dial-up Internet access. For example, at 28.8 kbps it took me about 14
minutes to download the file.
Component Availability
At the time that this article was written, all of the components required
for these modifications were readily available. However, there are a few
components that are currently difficult to obtain. The most difficult
component to locate is D2005 (MA4P4002D), a stud-mount, high-power PIN diode
manufactured by M/A COM. It's my understanding that this diode is no longer
available from the manufacturer, and I've been unable to locate a diode that
I'm convinced will function as a substitute. The MA4P4002D has the following
specifications at 25 degrees Celsius:

Series Resistance @ 100 mA forward current: 0.5 ohms
Carrier Lifetime: 6 microseconds @ 100 mA forward current
Voltage Rating: 200 Volts
Power Dissipation: 15 watts
Initially, my decision to use M/A COM's stud-mounted PIN diode was driven by
the requirement to support 100% duty cycle operation, such as RTTY or SSTV.
However, for low duty-cycle modes such as SSB and CW, I have successfully
used the MA4P4002B axial-lead PIN diode with a small heat sink on the diode
body. Unfortunately, this diode is not readily available either. Generally,
any axial-lead PIN diode capable of dissipating about 5 watts and meeting
the series resistance, voltage rating, and carrier lifetime specifications
listed above should function in a low duty cycle application at the 150W
power level of the TR-7. I will continue my search for a substitute, and
I'll post my findings here. If anyone has a suggestion for a substitute,
please send the information to me at the e-mail address listed above.
The second component that's difficult to obtain is reed-relay K2001,
manufactured by Magnecraft. I've been unable to locate a source for this
part, however, it appears that an EAC P/N 20-1121-30 reed relay should work
in its place. The primary difference between the original Magnecraft part
and the EAC substitute is the lead pinout. The EAC relay has short in-line
pins, while the Magnecraft part had longer leads which would permit a
"triangular" PC pad configuration at each end. Also, the NC contact on the
EAC part is on the opposite side of the relay from the Magnecraft part.
However, minor redrilling of the PC board along with a jumper to the NC
contact will solve these minor compatibility problems.
Miscellaneous:
A minor change in operation is required if a TR-7 is modified with my QSK
card and subsequently used to transceive with a Drake R-7 receiver using the
Drake 1548 cable. Because the QSK card RX Mute line only functions when the
TR-7 is turned on, the R-7 will be muted if the "Mute" button is depressed
and the TR-7 is turned off. To use the R-7 when the TR-7 is off, just
release the R-7 "Mute" button.

Errata:
Although I carefully reviewed this article prior to its publication, in a
project of this scope some errors are bound to occur. The known errors are:

Page 22, Figure 3: Two minor labeling errors exist in this schematic. There
are two capacitors labeled C2002, one connected to point "C" and the other
to the drain of Q2002. The capacitor connected to point C should be C2006.
Also, there are two capacitors labeled C2005, one connected to point "I" and
one from L2002 to ground. The capacitor from L2002 to ground should be
C2007.
Page 24, Figure 6: The RX coax ground connection point (K) is shown
incorrectly. This ground should be tied to the RF ground point that comes up
to the NO contact of relay K2001. This point is just to the left and below
the ground point (K) shown in Figure 6. Photo E on page 29 details the
correct location for (K).
Page 32, top left-hand column: The wires connected to points F and G on the
QSK card were reversed. The list of wire colors should read as follows:
4) Connect the tan wire to point D
5) Connect the pink wire to point E
6) Connect the red wire to point F
7) Connect the blue wire to point G
Page 37, Fan Control Parts List: Although it's not specifically stated,
temperature-sensitive zener diode D4001 is in a type TO-92 case. Also, C4001
should be 1.0 m F, 35 volts, not the 25 volt capacitor listed.
 If anyone has questions concerning the modifications in this article or
availability of components, please contact me via e-mail at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
73
Scott Prather
N7NB"

end of http://www.dproducts.be/Drake_Museum/tr-7mods.htm  direct quote.

Mr. Cherry also has the PDF of the Communications Quarterly article as a
link just below the comments above but that PDF does not have the resolution
on the pictures like the Comm Quarterly did and the reprint that John
Loughmiller did in his book "R.L. Drake A Family Affair" but Scott Prather
redrew the schematics in the book to make them easier to follow.

I was unable to find the Magnecraft W104MIP42 for a reasonable price (as you
also discovered).  A friend (who is or was on this list at one time)
redesigned the pc board for me so it is laid out for the EAC part that Scott
recommends.  It USED TO BE SOLD BY DIGIKEY and was used in some other very
recent QSK articles (a VE ham had an article in QEX in spring of 2006 that
used them) but Digikey no longer stocks it since EAC went to a rediculous
minimum order for Digikey.  I talked to EAC and they said they would sell
direct to me but they had a $500 minimum (I think).  The relay was about $8
from Digikey when they had them.  Digikey lists the relay as "Call" so if a
few of us call maybe they would stock a few more.

Hold the phone!  I just checked Digikey's web site and they have 80 of the
EAC relays in stock right now at $5.75 each and stock number Z645-ND so they
must have mananged to convince EAC to change their minimum but they do have
them and cheaper than the ones that I got.

As for the MA/Com Diodes (MA4P4002D) those are unobtainable!  You can still
get the MAP4002B from Richardson Electronics (they sell mainly to 2 way
companies I think) and they were around $8 each when I bought my 4.  They
are in the DO style case like a 1N4007 diode (I forget what the DO# is) and
so it will not disipate the power like the MA4P4002D but it is the same
specs.  I had asked Scott about using a 1N4001 as was suggested on another
list I am on but Scott did not seem to think it would work very well so the
MAP4002B is your best bet and is ok unless you are going to run RTTY or a
similar mode that requires 100% duty cycle.

Anyway I do have a pc board layout for the QSK board using the EAC relay
footprint.  You can also get a board set from Fred at Far Circuits.  If I
remember right the EAC relay had one contact swapped with the W104MIP42 so
you could put it on the FAR boards and then redo those 2 contacts.  The EAC
relay pin out is in sort of a triangle (kind of like many pc board mounted
pots) on each end so 3 contacts on each end but the center contact is moved
in some but the outer contacts are in line.

You did not mention the front end board but I had a little trouble finding
the RSD-12V Aromat relays for that.  Rich Measures AG6K - telephone, [805]
386-3734  at http://www.somis.org/ had them and are part of one of his
amplifier mod kits.   I think they were about $12 each.  I also found a few
on ebay later.  I kept getting caught because the specs even on the RSD-12V
say it is spst but it is REALLY SPDT.  Even the legend on the relay does not
show it but if you check the contacts you will find that it is indeed spdt!
The RS-12V is spst but the RSD-12V is spdt.

I hope that you find the above information helpful.  Most of it comes from
Scott Prather himself and posted on JM Cherry's web site at
http://www.dproducts.be/Drake_Museum/tr-7mods.htm and some of the parts info
was from my experience in trying to find the parts.  I have done searches
for some of the info before but usually my comments on this Drakelist in the
past are what I find!

Good luck and if I can help with more info or the Prather QSK pc board
layout for the EAC style relay please let me know.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt