Kevin,

With the rf decks and supplies I've rebuilt I've found some common problems.?
The bleeders have a failure rate between 60-75% in the supplies I've rebuilt.?
In the older supplies, the diodes had marginal voltage and current ratings; I
replace them with 1 KV 3 A as a better alternative.? Also, the 5K 7 watt
resistor on the underside of the supply is problematic.? When it fails, it puts
HV on the ALC pot which, for the L4B, hasn't been available for over 20 years.?
I use a replacement that is 5K at 20 watts.? When I rebuild the supplies, I
replace all resistors, capacitors, and diodes, plus the diode boards
themselves.? The capacitors I use have more capacity and thus better
regulation; please see the article I wrote on WB4HFN's Drake website for the
technique that I use.

I also add a cooling fan to the supply to draw heat out the top.? I typically
use 220 v fans that will start and run reliably on 110v.? They are so quiet
that you can't hear them running and they really lower the case/component
temperature and thus you have higher reliability.

As to the RF deck.? A tube flashover, parasitic oscillation, and other problems
can and do occur.? Typically, one or more of the RF chokes that grounds the
grids will melt, or even open, due to the flashover.? These chokes are no
longer available unless you order over 200 of them and are willing to wait 6
months for the production run; those are the details you'll find out when
trying to order them from Mouser, Newark, etc. or even Bourns directly (they
bought out Miller who made the chokes originally).? Replacing each rf choke
with a 33 ohm 1/2 watt carbon (not wirewound, not carbon film, not...) resistor
is an alternative.? Beyond that, one needs to look at the various components in
the RF deck and power supply to see what might have failed, flashed over, etc.

Please keep the Drake enthusiasts informed of the progress so we can all learn.

73,

Evan