"Jim Shorney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:18:29 -0000, AirRadio wrote:

>Hi gang, Has or does anyone run an L-4B on AM, if so what is the max output to
>the antenna expected with 100w carrier input, having said that is 100w too
>much for the input, regards Max

Yes, 100 watts is too much. You need to understand the PEP-to-carrier ratio
involved with AM. The manual states that with 100% modulated AM (I assume
this to mean full-carrier, both sidebands), the transmitter should be
adjusted to produce 500 watts DC plate input in the amplifier. This
translates to 250-300 watts carrier output. If you are using a Drake
controlled-carrier AM transmitter, adjust everything per manual specs and you
should be OK, but in any case do not exceed the maximum PEP ratings of the
amplifier or the maximum legal limit allowed by your licence, whichever is
lower.

I'm sure one of the gurus who lurk here will come up with a more complete
answer...

73

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
TR7/RV7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C, L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A, HyGain