From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of EP Swynar
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [drakelist] R-4 Series Crystal Alternatives

Good Afternoon All,

I'm curious about the experience of others in the matter of utilizing
possible "...substitutes" for the frequency band oscillator crystals ---
be they synthesizers, self-excited "analog" oscillators, whatever --- in
the R-4 series of receivers, to expand the frequency coverage of same...

To date, my research has come up with three different articles on the
subject, i.e.:

--- August 1972 HAM RADIO magazine ("Frequency Synthesizer for the Drake
R-4";

--- May 1981 QST magazine ("General-Coverage Reception with the Drake
R-4C", and,

--- June 2004 April QST magazine ("Give that Drake Receiver a New Lease
on Life").

Of all these, the May '81 QST appears to be about the simplest to
construct, even though it uses a pair of the now relatively expensive
ECG222 (come NTE-222) dual-gate Mosfet transistors...but how in the
world does one attain (and maintain) solid, stable, & steady
crystal-like oscillation in a relatively simple Colpitts circuit, as
high as 40.8-MHz...?!

I'm putting out feelers at this time, because in three short days from
now, I shall be the proud owner of a pair of Drake Twins here...a
Christmas present that I am presenting to myself, just a few days ahead
of THE BIG DAY, Hi Hi.

Thanks in advance, & my vy

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ