Good Morning All,

If you take a moment to click onto this site
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220185518740&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012
it will become readily apparent why I'm experimenting here with the notion of
using a dedicated RF signal generator as a replacement for any HC-6/U band
crystals at the back of my "new" R-4 receiver!

With days still to go on this auction, it's already approaching the price of
the entire Drake Twins station that I purchased here the other day...

BTW, the notion of a signal-generator-cum-crystal-substitute is a viable one: I
played about with mine yesterday, and managed to copy all manner of shortwave &
medium wave stuff on the rig, "...for free".

The injection level of RF voltage into the crystal socket is important, though:
I obviously never had enough "soup" from my WW2-vintage generator, because
S-meter side-by-side comparisons --- i.e. the signal strength of a BC station,
crystal vs. generator --- showed that I needed a lot more "horsepower" out of
the generator than it was capable of delivering...

A solidstate, compact generator --- with a built-in crystal calibrator --- is
in order here for casual SWL'ing. For the Ham bands, though, I still prefer the
"rockbound" route...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ