"Don Cunningham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Jason,
David is right, but I'll add, stronger than he did, that I would NEVER load a tube rig for the first time into an unknown antenna situation. You really need that dummy load, especially since you have a random wire (with likely a poor ground in an apartment), and it will exhibit strange impedances/reactances. If the rigs have been stored for a long time, I would also recommend rebuilding the AC4 supply before you even start using it. Listening to the receiver, you have been using its internal supply and have not fired up the AC4 yet. The capacitors are old enough now that they WILL fail, even if they don't initially, and will cause more problems than you will want to trace, hi. The bias capacitor itself can/will wipe out the final tubes if it goes bad. That would be my starting point for transmitting. Buy the AC4R kit from the Heathkit shop (no connection, just love the kit) and rebuild the power supply while someone ships the dummy load to you. If you are NOT comfortable with high voltage in your daily ET duties, arrange with Mike at the Heathkit shop and he'll rebuild it for a fee. Good investment, then with the dummy load, you will have a firm foundation. Good luck!!
73,
Don, WB5HAK