I've actually run several pieces of gear through the dishwasher and the results
are spectacular!  I was nervous the first time around, but now it is becoming
commonplace. Here are a few tips that I've learned (in no particular order -
and in addition to what's already been written on this):

1. Remove all delicate and movable parts (tubes, light bulbs, meters, crystals,
PTOs, dial mechanisms, and so on)
2. Remove as much sheet metal and brackets as possible (including front panels)
3. Use liquid dishwasher soap SPARINGLY.  Granular soap leaves small flecks of
soap on the chassis.
4. Insure the parts are properly supported on the dishwasher rack.
5. Use a "gentle" cycle.  Do NOT preheat the water (if you have that option).
6. Do NOT use a drying cycle.  Remove the parts immediately after washing and
blow dry THOROUGHLY with an air compressor (I use about 40  PSI to avoid damage)
7. Avoid washing parts with painted surfaces - the paint can discolor or come
off
8. If rotary switches are tarnished, use a cotton swab (Q-Tip) to clean the
switch terminals with Tarn-X immediately PRIOR to placing in the dishwasher
9. Solder flux - especially the older stuff - will turn "white" after washing.
It causes no damage, but if its unsightly, it can be carefully chipped off.
10. Let parts air dry in a warm place for at least 24 hours before working on
them or re-assembling them. In some cases, I blow them off with the compressor
again
11. Use Deoxit D5 (and equivalent control cleaner for pots) on all switch
contacts.
12. Heavy or dried grease can be removed PRIOR to the dishwasher cycle using a
small amount of solvent on a Q-Tip.
13. Any left-over soap residue (if you used too much) can be removed with a
Q-Tip and water.

This can be a time-consuming, finicky and potentially risky process.  But if
you're looking to get your equipment back to that "new" look, this is the best
process I've found so far.  Proceed at your own discretion; this is NOT for
everyone.

Dave
VE6DRW