Hello David. I had the same problem when I attempted to set 80M output at a
much lower level.In the end I went back to 140W on 80M and this gives me
100W at 29.5 with the ALC light extinguishing.     John. GI3KDR
  -----Original Message-----
  From: drakelist-boun...@zerobeat.net
[mailto:drakelist-boun...@zerobeat.net]on Behalf Of David & Chris Drake
  Sent: 08 February 2009 21:13
  To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
  Subject: [Drakelist] TR-7 Alignment

  Hello,
  I decided to go back into my TR-7 this afternoon and do some tweeking to
my previous alignment. (the S meter seemed to read higher than my other
radios by quite a bit).  After re-setting the S-meter per the manual, I
thought I'd go back over the transmitter settings and lower the output
somewhat.  I had read somewhere that Drake liked to set the ALC board at
120w instead of the called for 140-150w.  The purpose being purity of
emissions.  I'm using it mainly with an L4B, so the extra 20-30 watts means
little.

  Per the manual, I set the carrier fully clockwise on 14mhz, keyed the
radio and set the ALC pot to about 120w.  Then went to 28mhz and attempted
to reset the predriver board to get the alc light to go out.  No can do.
The pot is fully CCW and no more there.  I remember when I did the previous
alignment set at about 145w on 14mhz, and then on 28mhz, the alc light just
started to dim at fully CCW on the predriver.

  Any comments as to what I should or should not be doing?  PS, its sn 5300
or so with the version 2 predriver.
  Thanks,
  David
  Wd9cmd