From:   Jim Shorney <jshor...@inebraska.com>
To:     Douglas <sparks06...@yahoo.com>, "drakelist@zerobeat.net"
<drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Date:   2/19/2009 8:33 PM
Subject:        Re: [Drakelist] TR7 Digital control PCB

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:39:38 -0800 (PST), Douglas wrote:

>Anyone know of a source of these PROMS for one of these digital control PCBs??
>Does the firmware exist? It programs each Amateur Band.
>Anyone know why the two versions exist? Are there more problems with one?

I suspect the PROM version was a cost-cutting measure by Drake. I know
that there is someone, can't remember who, offering a replacement for
the PROM on the DR7, but I've not seen anyone offering the PROM for the
digital control board. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out the
programming, though. Personally, anything with a PROM makes me a little
nervous, for the reasons you are experiencing. AFAIK, there is no real
advantage to the board with the PROM, and the non-PROM board is a
little easier to modify to do a PROPER all-band transmit mod.

73

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
TR7/RV7/R7A/L7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C/L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A,