Hi Jim:

I was speaking in the general not specifically about the TR or any other system. And not specifically trying to judge the merits of the mentioned modifications...just the approach in general. EveGarey seems to not be adverse to a change if it improves the "quality" of operation (key click mod)...So I guess it depends upon one's own use and definition of what is a worthwhile improvement. I will not cut up or otherwise internally modify my R4a or T4x, but I might add something internally or externally that I believe is an improvement. I am considering, for instance, a change to a solid-state audio amp. Yes, I know that the Drakes sound great and all, but I don't do AM and I use cans a high percentage of the time so solid state quality will be fine ;) ...The basic reason is to get rid of all the heat. I run my rig 18hrs a day, nearly every day, and I don't like the heat that that one tube radiates to everything around it.

Finally, here is a "challenge" regarding these rigs that cannot be met as delivered. I run RTTY contests, and would like to use some of the CAT features available in the current contesting software. Just getting the computer to read the vfo freq for logging and S&P marking, and spotting would be OK. So I need to add a Micro-controlled DDS. To me, this is a worthwhile add--but in my case, will be added externally.

Anyway, long live Drake, in whatever form we each choose to maintain them..

Regards,

Curt
KU8L