Garey,

I have cleaned my eBay TR-4. Replaced two tubes, V1 &V20. Along with tightening up the ps connector pins and probably some other small forgotten stuff it seems to be working nicely. Although I still have yet to make "first contact". I thought I'd go through the complete alignment procedure to check and adjust as necessary.

( I thought I had a source for two 0.01pF capacitors from Allied but their web site ordering is worse than crap. I called them and to my disbelief still more crap. So I'm still looking for some caps to get the 0.005pf for the alignment procedure.)

That's why I asked about calibrating the calibrator. I don't suspect any problem... just want to check all the settings.

Richard Palmer
KB8NXO

Garey Barrell wrote:
Richard -

Do you have ANY receiver aside from your TR-4? It doesn't have to have a BFO or be particularly stable or sensitive.

If all you have is a Broadcast Band table radio, see if you have a commercial station on an even 100 kHz frequency such as 700, 800, 1200, etc. It doesn't have to be local, in fact best if it isn't too strong, and the higher the better. Get it close to the TR-4, and possibly wrap a turn or two of wire around the calibrator tube, bringing the other end near the broadcast receiver antenna. Turn on the calibrator and adjust your wire until the calibrator signal is about the same strength as the BC station, then adjust the calibrator until the signal is at zero beat. Adjust as carefully as you can, if the signals are near the same strength you'll actually be able to hear a slow variation in amplitude when you're within a few Hz of zero.

This is far from ideal, but BC stations are very accurate. When you calibrate at 10 MHz, you are comparing the 100th harmonic of the calibrator to a known frequency, whereas with a broadcast station you're only at the 10th harmonic on a 1 MHz BC station. But plenty close enough for our purposes.

Better still is if you can borrow a receiver that covers 10 or 15 MHz, and if you can resist adjusting the calibrator, they stay correct for a LONG time. In fact, unless someone has been "adjusting" it, it's probably close enough!

Drake 2-B, 4-B, C-Line&  TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Richard Palmer wrote:
The manual says to tune to WWV ect.ect. I'm assuming this is 10Mc. . Can I use a signal generator set to 10Mc. and accomplish the same desired result? I have neither of these and must buy what I need to skin this cat. Any suggestions? One caveat... it must be inexpensive.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Palmer
KB8NXO

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to
sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.   - Anatole
France