I have a fair number of D104 microphones. Most have the preamp, but for my older tube state rigs, I have two without the amp. I have a very deep bass voice, and the amplified D104 mics do a great job so long as I follow Garey's advice and keep the gain in the microphone down to a pretty low level. I have used them on a number of Ten Tec rigs, and even my Icom IC-202 pocket sized 2 meter ssb/cw transceiver. With some care in adjustment, they do very well. And it is really hard to argue with a product with a 70+ year production life.

73,

Steve WA9JML

Gary Poland wrote:
Garey,
Got have that mic preamp for more " swing ". Nothing like saturating a 16 pill solid state amp and having a little negative modulation to be loud and proud !!! HI HI. 73, Gary