OK, a local ham kindly gave me a spare glitch resistor as a replacement for
R12, and the Drake has been repaired, tested, and then packed for the trip.
The homebrew 5m amp has been reconnected to its internal HV p/s, tested, and
then packed.  I may never find out what caused R12 to blow, because I'm
disinclined to mess with the power supply switch again.  Sure would be nice to
get higher voltage on the 6m amp, because I'm sure the 3-500Z would give me
double the current 350w output with a better p/s, but c'est la vie.

Thanks to all who responded, both on the forum and offline.

73, Bill