What factors could contribute to frequency instability EXTERNAL to the PTO?

My TR-4C has just developed a "jittery" frequency, jumping back and forth around center freq by as much as 50Hz. I know someone (if not many) will refer me to the excellent articles on PTO rebuilds, but before someone does, let me say that I have rebuilt my internal PTO last year and it has been working flawlessly since then. I believe this is external to the PTO because I am seeing the same instability on both the internal PTO (rebuilt last year as stated previously) and also on the RV-4C PTO (factory original, but has always been stable, other than a heat induced drift issue mentioned in another thread).

Is this a Oscillator tube going bad, or some other component in the freq. chain?

Thanks,
Loren - WA3WZR