I was reading his web site regarding 160M & receivers. Basically he trashes
the R-4C for it's well known problems with the dual gate mosfet mixer.  As
you go thru the receiver tests on his website shows test results with a
medium level modified R-4C which comes pretty close to matching the
performance documented on the Sherwood Engineering website. (I have one of
those "Sherwood R-4C's". )
But what has got me wondering is W8JI goes on to talk about the highly
modified R-4C that he says was gutted and redesigned with heavy emphasis on
the mixers.
My first guess is that he is switching over to MiniCircuits DBM's (perhaps
SLB1's) as there is mention of running much higher injection levels to the
mixers and switching over to video amplifier chips in the IF chain to
further enhance the dynamic range.
What I am wondering is if anyone here on this list has monkeyed around with
different mixers and if so what did you use?
73, Don KO7i