Hi Evan -

We've discussed this before, but something just (so I'm slow...) occurred to me.

Setting the TR-7 to a dial frequency, as measured by the internal counter. I've gotta think about this, or perhaps someone can explain it more clearly, BUT ...

The reference for the signal 'generating' oscillators are the SAME reference oscillators that control the counter, including the counter reference and gate timing circuits. So there are all kinds of inter-relationships between these signals that determine what you see on the dial.

I think a better test would be to tune in a known stable source, such as WWV, (or a stable, crystal controlled local oscillator,) and use an external counter to measure the audio beat note over time. Every 7 Line unit I've ever 'looked' at, if there was any drift at all, was UP in frequency. So if you set the dial for a 400 Hz beat note, you'd have at least a 2 kHz range for measurement. IF you're not sure, or have one that drifts down you could start with a 1 kHz beat note. Using this method, you'd have a minuscule error from the ionospheric variations on WWV, and a negligible error from the BFO stability, but both are insignificant for these measurements.

Some of the audio programs such as Spectrogram, Wavosaur, etc. have recording capabilities that would make it even simpler.

I also wonder what takes so long to stabilize in a TR-7 with a fan on it. The oscillators are all pretty much 'out in the open', so I would expect it to settle down within an hour.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-B, C-Line&
TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

K9sqg wrote:
Fellow Drake Enthusiasts,

The discussion of the VFO stabilizers prompted me to describe what I have observed about 7 line PTOs over the past 25 years or so.

At the risk of offending, I would like to express some observations I have made through tests of my own equipment, TR-7s (over a dozen or so), TR-7As (three), R7s (two), and R7A (one). My experiences have indicated two groups or classes, if you will, of drift characteristics. One set of equipment appears to drift well under 50 hz per hour, while the other set can drift 100-200 hz per hour. Stabilization varies from a few hours to almost 24 hours. Note that I can't be precise since (1) I wasn't using an external counter with known accuracy, (2) the resolution/display of the DR7 is 100 hz, and (3) I didn't make detailed records of all the equipment for archive purposes, from my initial tests. Having said that, let me present one record I did make recently of one of my TR-7As. Frequency was set via the PTO dial approximately midway between the next highest and next lowest 100 hz readouts. The times are Zulu and the frequency was on 40 meters, normal ambient room temperature, from a cold start. No transmit cycles were used. A cooling fan was used to exhaust air from the rear of the rig.

1340 hrs  7258.0 kc
1348  7258.1
1410  7258.2
1425  7258.3
1458  7258.4
1541  7258.5
1551  7258.5
1627  7258.5
1726  7258.6
1838  7258.6
2352   7258.7
0733  7258.9
1208  7258.9
1343  7258.9
1421  7258.9
1528  7258.9
1824  7258.9

From the above observational data, you can see that the PTO did eventually stabilize after about 18 hours or so, for the given TR-7A, in receive only, no transmit cycles. You can see that the initial drift was about 200 hz per hour for the first three hours. The other "class" of PTOs drifts substantially less and stabilizes sooner. I have not done any investigation to see if this observational data correlates with serial numbers on the rigs. In comparison, I have observed that the RV-75 external VFO keeps drift well under the 100 hz resolution of the DR-7 for days at a time, how much I don't know.

This email is for informational purposes only and is not meant to offend anybody. I realize your experiences are likely to be different and I present mine for what they are worth.

Have a great week and enjoy those Drakes.

73,

Evan, K9SQG