Hi Curt.

The biggest difference is in the location rather than design of the card.
That inside a desktop or laptop PC tends to pick up significantly more noise fron the other circuitry than an external USB card.

Ensure that you turn off the Windows burps and farts and other sound effects or they will be transmitted along with your wanted signal.

This from the Ham Radio Deluxe Interfaces Manual by Simon Brown and Peter
Halpin.
( http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/Portals/1/Documentation/Interfaces.pdf )

"And one last tip: the onboard soundcards supplied with many computers are very basic indeed. Many people report seeing "ghost" signals on their waterfalls: these are very often caused by below-par soundcards. If you can install a good one - I use a Creative Audigy 2 - you will be pleasantly surprised at how 'clean' the waterfall looks. An added bonus is that you will be able to decode weaker signals too! Adding a second soundcard to any system can be recommended: but please make sure it's a good one."