If the cable is short enough, RG-58 is ok. RG-59 is better, and RG-62 is better still, but if it's only a foot or so ... 'Small' coax such are RG-174 etc., should not be used. The key factor is the capacitance / foot, the lower the better.

The correct connection to the receiver is the center conductor to the 'common' crystal wire that connects all the crystal sockets together, and the shield connects to the chassis. A crystal base can be used to make the connection to the 'hot' lead, but the shield still needs to go to the chassis, which is NEITHER of the crystal socket pins.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-B, C-Line&
TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Hunter Ellington wrote:
I have a very nice FS-4 I recently came across to use with my R4-C. Does anyone know of a source for the interconnect cable? If I make one, should I use a small diameter coax, or some other shielded cable? Someone mentioned that you can terminate the cable with the base of an old crystal. Does that make sense?
K0GFY   R. Hunter Ellington
303-454-0543/720-560-8139
P.O. Box 44
Larkspur, CO 80118