Just ordered some stainless-steel rod for making a  new preselector
reduction-drive center shaft for R-4A s/n 3735.   The old shaft has a groove
worn
into the smaller-diameter recess by the ball  bearings, which makes the
preselector tuning slip rather badly, so I'm going to  turn a new shaft on my
Sherline lathe and rebuild the reduction  drive.

    This will be an interesting  repair......   ;-)     I'll also be
re-capping  this radio (cap kit on order from Hayseed Hamfest) and doing a lot
of
serious  troubleshooting on a rather warbly PTO assembly (that was swapped
out of s/n  3781).  Basically, this radio now has all of my current known
problems rolled into one unit.   ;-)

    73/arf,

    Paul, K4MSG