I recently acquired a 2B that was in fairly decent condition, but the
cabinet needed a paint job to look good because it had several little
scratches and blemishes.
Anyway, after sanding the whole cabinet down, priming it, and spraying
it with Rustoleum Satin Black paint, It came out pretty nice looking,  I
let it sit for close to a week before putting the radio back in the
cabinet.
The problem is, no matter how gently I put the radio back in the
cabinet, the paint on the inside bottom of the cabinet gets scratched
badly. Mostly in two places - bottom left and bottom right. Just the
front 3/4" or so. I originally thought it was the chassis scraping it,
but I found out it's mostly the bottom of the front panel. (the edges
were kind of sharp, but I subsequently sanded them lightly). If I try
touching up the scratched areas with a brush or Q-tip, those spots are
still very noticeable, and don't look too good.

After re-sanding and re-spraying the inside bottom several times, I
finally found out that if I put painter's tape along the inside bottom
(front) of the cabinet, I can slide the radio back into the cabinet
extremely carefully, and still have the paint intact. (I managed to do
it once anyway). Now I'm afraid of ever taking the radio back out of the
cabinet for fear of getting the paint scratched. I know the original
paint was much more durable, but I believe they used a powder-type
paint.

I'm not sure if the paint is ever going to harden to the point that it
won't easily be scratched, or should I maybe consider using an expensive
spray paint that is supposed to be real tough and actually harden to the
point that it can take a slight bit of abuse. I don't have the luxury of
having an oven, compressor, spray gun, or other professional painting
equipment.

Thanks for any help,
Al, WA2AS