Here's a progress report or update on the preselector slippage issue.
Gary Poland sent me a solution and a diagram explaining his fix. I tried it
last night it worked very well.

To those with a similar problem you might want to try Gary's suggestion, if
you're not already familiar with it.

Basically here's what I did:

   1. Loosen the two screws that connect the coupler to the main shaft.
   2. Remove the outer knob and red pointer to allow you to remove the front
   assembly.
   3. When reassembling add a small spacer between the two shafts to force
   the front shaft forward.
   4. When you reattach the coupler you've have basically forced the
   bearings to ride on the non-worn part of the front shaft, restoring the
   preselector functioning.

Here's a link to Gary's diagram so you can visualize the fix:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x304/vortigerncrancocc/drakevenierdrivefix.jpg

It's slick and worked for me. Thanks Gary Poland!!