For someone who doesn't own all the requisite test equipment, it would be nice to know of competent folks in the area capable and willing to properly align Drake gear. I'd happily pay someone to go through my 4-line, but am not interested in shipping it anywhere.

My "frequency counter" is my Omni VII, besides that an old Eico signal generator, VTVM, capacitance bridge, and tube tester. Am afraid buying an old scope would just add another piece of equipment needing to be worked on.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Garey Barrell" <k4...@mindspring.com>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] TR-3 Saga

Tom -

Repairing stuff is so much more fun when you have the proper test equipment! :-)

The manual procedure only works if the radio has not been 'repaired' by someone else! What probably happened in your case was that the 9 MHz oscillator was 'outside' the sideband filters rather than in the valley between them. Once that happens it's tricky to get it back without a counter.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-B, C-Line&
TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

pony...@aol.com wrote:
  Hi gang, you too Ron,
Had a lot of fun last night. I took my TR-3 over to Terry's last night. We found no bad components, just awfully bad alignment. It was impossible to set the 9 Mhz oscillator the way the book calls for, so we set it with a frequency counter, then went through the entire alignment procedure using a scope, rather than my tin ears, surprisingly everything lined up perfectly. The last thing we did was to set the 9 Mhz oscillator to line up with the band pass of the crystal lattice sideband filter. We did this with the scope, flipping back and forth with the sideband switch while transmitting an audio signal, adjusting the crystal frequency until both upper, and lower sideband signals were equal. Thanks for all your helpful thoughts...... enjoy those Drakes............Tom Maguire, WD8JPP