Yes Garey:

Any of the rigs with lots of connectors, card edges, and switch wafers are an issue.

I never had done any cleaning on these switches at all since they looked brand new. Even now, not a hint of the normal dark color on the switches. But I could see the shiny rub mark on them so just a small speck of Deoxit did the trick.

Thanks for the help tho.  This is a great resource.

Garey Barrell wrote:
Curt -

OK. Yes, that would indicate incorrect offset information from the Digital control board to the Translator board. I guess I didn't understand that your '12 MHz' was a 'locked' 12 MHz, rather than a 'wandering' VCO.

Cool! As we say, and as the 'Welcome' message now says, "90% of Drake R-7/TR-7 'failures' are the result of corrosion on switches, card edge or cable connectors."

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Curt Nixon wrote:
Welll...no it was not unlocked. I know what that looks like. and it was /is 33MHz and 17MHz when fixed Rx is depressed.

This was stable, normally operating in all other senses but wrong frequency.

It must have been getting bad selection information out of the band select switch because once I applied a small amount of deosit to the bandswitch, it is now fine.

Curt
KU8L

Garey Barrell wrote:
Curt -

This just means that the 'low band' VCO is unlocked. The 'low band' VCO covers 14 MHz and down. You should read about 17 MHz rather than 12, which is probably why it's losing lock. If you switch to any of the 'high' bands (21 and up) and depress the FIXED - RCV button you should see ~32 MHz, and any of the 'low' bands (14 and down) should be ~17 MHz. Of course both are 'wandering' frequencies as this is the VCO's running 'unlocked'.

One common problem that can cause this is a loose or missing core top half on the DC-DC converter transformer on the power supply board just behind the GAIN and DELAY adjustments. The transformer core consists of two halves, each 'E' shaped, super-glued together, 'facing' each other. If the top half becomes loose or even falls off, the +25V supply drops considerably. So if you look at the transformer on the board, you should see a solid bar across the top. If you see three square legs sticking up, check the bottom cover for the transformer core top! If you see the 'bar', make sure it's tight to the other half. You may touch it and have it fall off. A few drops of super glue will fix it.

If this is NOT the problem, check the +25 VDC bus. If it's good, then something has changed the VCO 'unlocked' frequency and you'll need the service manual information to find out if it's an adjustment problem, or some other failure.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Curt Nixon wrote:
GM All:

Hope you all are keeping warm.  10F here and all antennas iced up.

Have a problem that just started over the weekend with the TR7 here.

All works fine except when I try to select 14MHz. the display goes to 12xxxx MHz. If I start at 21 and step down with the 500K dwn button, it goes to 14500 and then the next step goes to 12000 stepping back up 14 comes back on. I havent checked yet to see if it is actually running on 14 but displaying 12 but it is stable there...not flickering or anything.

Common problem?

Boards have not been re-seated in a while but rig has not been stored.

Use this rig nearly every day.  and it has been running great.

Curt
KU8L