Kevin -

Lee has a couple of good possibilities, but first try swapping V4 with V6 and see if it makes a difference. The 6EJ7 at V4 has a reputation for getting noisy, and you might have to try a couple three 'new' ones to find a quiet one. Once you find one however, it should last for years.

A noisy tube is less of a problem at V6 or even at V2.

If no luck here, the next most likely suspects are C62 and C63, but you're talking scope and troubleshooting to isolate beyond that.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Kevin Nathan wrote:
Hi All,
I would like to draw on the wisdom of the group here. My R4-C seems to be developing a sort of frying noise when I am listening. It is really apparent on SSB but also now is getting worse on AM as well. It does not seem to effect audio quality but is running competition at times with the received signal. Does anyone have an idea what this might be? Someone mentioned that there is a particular tube, perhaps a 6EJ7, that gets gassy and can cause this. Any thoughts?
Thanks all and very 73.
Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX