From: drakelist-boun...@zerobeat.net [mailto:drakelist-boun...@zerobeat.net]
On Behalf Of Garey Barrell
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:33 AM
Cc: drakelist@zerobeat.net
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] TR-7 local oscillator

Al -

There are two PLL's in the TR-7, one for the bands below 20M and another for
bands above.  Your 'high band' VCO is not locking.  The 'wandering'
frequency is just the free-running VCO going to it's 'idle' frequency 'or
so', which should be around 32 MHz.

First suspect is corrosion on the card connector pins, and of course all the
likely candidates are UNDER the DR-7 board.  Get a bottle of DeoxIT D100L,
and set aside an afternoon to remove, DeoxIT and replace all the boards.  It
doesn't hurt to twist each of the coax cables a bit at each termination.  If
you unplug one, be careful to get the center conductor (contact 'pin')
aligned carefully before pushing it home.  Careful also to get the DR-7 pins
nice and straight to ensure they go into the correct socket.

If that doesn't take care of it, (~95% probability that it WILL,) then check
the +24 VDC supply on the small power supply board just behind the front
panel logo.  Careful to not bump the trimpots, especially the right-most one
closest to the side panel.  If this voltage is low, verify that the top half
of the DC-DC converter transformer on that board is in place and firmly in
contact with the lower half.  Two 'E'
shaped cores, 'face-to-face' and in firm contact.  The shorted loop of wire
around the transformer IS supposed to be there, not to hold the halves
together (wrong axis anyway!) but to minimize the external field from the
transformer.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>