Can audio be feed out of the R-4A bypassing the onboard amplifier?

Yes, you can bypass the internal AF amp stages for headphone/speaker audio, but they must remain active (see below). I do this with a Marantz 1030C. The following mod is easily reversible without leaving no permanent "residue" in the event of a future sale.

1) Add a 1.0 uF cap, positive end to the AF GAIN wiper arm;
2) Connect a length of shielded audio cable to the other end of the new cap, shield to the chassis; 3) Disconnect the existing wiring to the RCA SPKR jack (dress it so that it can be easily restored); and 4) Connect the other end of the new shielded audio cable to the RCA SPKR jack, shield to the chassis.

With this change, the R-4A's AF GAIN control will still remain active to the external audio amp. Headphone and speaker audio comes from the new external amp. Tube V7 must remain in its socket for ANTI-VOX operation. The new cap can be either a low ESR electrolytic or tantalum type. If you're an audiophile, you'll use the former. Myself, I have no issues using inter-stage tantalum coupling caps for "communications audio."

Paul, W9AC