Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 10:20:27 -0800
From: "Jim Bo" <jbol...@verizon.net>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Subject: Re: My Drake/Sherwood R-4C Rules my shack! (Don Jones)

IMHO, the only thing that is better than what Don describes is the R-4C as
he describes BUT.......use a Timewave 599ZX with a pair of noise canceling
earphones (the Bose are expensive, but quite comfortable). The Timewave has
a superior audio amp and I set up the filter as a bandpass with the low end
at ~300 Hz and the high end at 1,500 Hz. This helps with the low end
"rumble" and the high end atmosphere noise and makes the radio even more
enjoyable. I rarely use the other features of the DSP filter, but on
occasion, the "Random" function does help.  Only on few occasions do I use
the CW function of the DSP.  It does help also, but for the most part, the
R-4C audio into the DSP filter is "clean".  I have recently aligned my R-4C
and used the headphone jack with out the Timewave and again realized what a
huge difference it makes.  The DSP filter is not low cost, but I got it 10
years ago and it is still a viable solution.  I am sure that there are lower
cost filters out there, but can not attest to the audio amps on them.  One
of the cost drivers of the 599ZX is the ability to go to 5 kHz as the upper
cut off frequency.  This compares to others that have a cut off at 3 kHz or
so.  For amateur radio, the 3 kHz is fine, but I also use the 599ZX with my
Drake R-8B for BCBDX and Beacons.

Jim
WA9ZBV
Orange, CA