Al -

Yeah, Donnie did a good job with that. We miss his 'special' parts, especially the little red ones! :-)

I just finished doing a CD for the A-Line, so have some stuff together.

The 11 Tube R-4A started at s/n 4054. The last version started at s/n 5400, and went through to close to 7000 where the B started. The 'model' for the CD was a 6600 series unit, and had several changes from the last schematic. According to Bill Frost, there were a 'bunch of changes' just after the last schematic was issued, and apparently not documented. There were enough changes that I made a 'Revised' schematic that showed what was actually in 'this' receiver.

Most of the changes from the late "A" to the early "B" receiver were cosmetic. Most important was the change to black labels above the 'belt-line' on the front panel! The MAIN TUNING knob was 'dished' a bit to allow a "PTO in USE" light at the fiducial. The AF Preamp was similar to the late "A", and of course the CALIBRATOR added the 25 kHz markers. The FET PTO didn't come in until the second version at s/n 8000.

The color-coded crystal system started around s/n 5000. I've not been able to find any documentation from Drake for it. The T-4X of course started with the color-coded CO crystals at about s/n 12000 and continued into the T-4XB.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Al Parker wrote:
Hi agn,
I found it -- Donnie's list. It's just for the R-4A's, but he points out the differences between the 2 versions. I seem to remember, and Garey can probably comment better, that there were some more small changes made toward the end of the "late" version, such that the very late ones were about the same as an R-4B.
    Take a look at
<http://www.zerobeat.net/drakelist/r4asurvey.html>
73,

Al, W8UT
www.boatanchors.org
www.hammarlund.info

"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole