Hi Garey, All,

Thank you Garey for your answer.

I did do most of the "obvious" things for the R4C like some you mentioned, but not with a good result yet :-(
I will have to go over it once more thoroughly I guess and follow your tips

But for the moment I have put aside the R4C and am concentrating on the AC4 refurbishment. I want to have some status on the T4XC first, because I could not power it up at all yet.

The AC4 PSU I bought separately was dead and a mess when I opened it.
Leaked capacitors, modifications (repairs?), bad solder joints and loose connections. Fortunately nothing blew up when I tried to power it up to measure its output voltages.
(Just the AC4, with a bridge at the plug; not connected to the T4XC!)

I have cleaned out the whole inside of the unit, keeping only the transformer, fuse holder, cinch socket, VOX connector and the cable assembly / plug. I first considdered buying the AC4-R refurbishing kit, but got a good deal on some board with HV caps already fitted. I could cut it in two (one half for the 650 Volt supply and the other half for the 250 Volt supply) and to size and they fit nicely to the side panels of the AC4 chassis after removing the old caps fitted to the chassis.
.
I think I want to also modify it a little bit.
Fitting a 3 pin power socket, an extra DPDT mains switch on the unit itself, fuses / fuse holders for all voltages, maybe a safety-relay for enabling the 650 Volt only when bias is present, are some of the ideas.

I am waiting now for some parts that did not arrive yet so I think I'll give the R4C another try.

As for the tubes 6JF6, I will not use them at this time, if ever.

I'll keep you posted.

73's,

Henry - PA0HJA