I think Ron and Lee's suggestion is the answer. I tweaked the needle ever so
slightly where the needle takes a 90 degree bend. I was able to put it dead
nuts on. The needle looks straight as a pin. Now that I think of it I had a
catastrophic 6JB6 failure some time ago which most likely caused the needle to
slam hard against the stop which may have caused the needle to bend. I'm not
sure why I didn't notice the problem then because I had to replace the finals,
both screen resistors, and the meter shunt, reset the bias and re-neutralize
the finals. It was nice to have Garey's CD, I was able to go right to R36 the
2.7 ohm resistor.

THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED, A GREAT GROUP!

John Meyer K8IHY