Hi Ron:

Well the analogy to solid state is that of a diode to a transistor, or more accurately a FET.

The addition of a third element to a vacuum tube diode turns it into a triode. The control grid creates the leveraged control element which enables current control via a very small signal applied. It is the grids physical proximity to the cathode that gives it the "leverage" it needs to enable gain.

Simple answer.

Curt
KU8L

Ron wrote:

All, Anyone interested in the Drake L-4B amplifier may be interested in a new article I just released. This article is a redesign of the L-4B amplifier which requires no external high voltage power supply. It is completely self-contained. The article can be found on my Drake website.

Follow the link, and click on the article link at the top of the page.

_http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakePageHome.htm_

73,   Ron / WB4HFN