Back when I was the Chief Tech for a division of the old B-A, I had some studio video gear come in which had suffered through the same event - smoke exposure. The only thing I could find to cut it was 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Of course, we have some really good cleaning products NOW, so you might not need to go that far. I also discovered that the chemistry of the smoke (and some heat) had rendered the wiring + insulation quite brittle, and ultimately the units all failed. Be careful, moving the wiring.

Tom