Dale -

The only significant difference between the R-4 and the Early R-4A is that the 'A' has a solid state (Bipolar) PTO and BAND oscillator. So the 'A' is more stable and quicker to stabilize from turn-on. The R-4 is very like the 2-B, functionally, just with a linear PTO and 1 kHz calibration. The Late R-4A has a few more stages converted from tube to SS, NONE of which are in the direct RF/IF signal path. Some claim the tube type Product Detector used in the 2-B - Early R-4A has lower distortion than the two-diode PD used in the rest of the R-4A/B/C receivers. The "B" added the 25 kHz calibrator, and changed the PTO to an FET after the first 1000 receivers, and but that's about the only functional differences. There were several cosmetic changes, the most important of which, at least to me, was changing from 'natural' lettering 'above the belt' to black printing. The tilted MAIN TUNING knob skirt was much less susceptible to glare, and the 'PTO in Use' fiducial was a nice change. There were small circuit changes, mostly values in the AVC, NB and a couple other places, but nothing drastic.

I still think the "B" is the best of the bunch, if for no other reason than that the design is the same as the R-4, just refined after building about 7000 of the earlier versions.!

Personally, I think the Sherwood R-4C is 'better', ONLY if you need the close in IM protection. Let's face it, about the only place you find that to be a problem is either on low band contest weekends or low band DX pileups. For day to day hamming in our relatively wide open bands, I prefer the Passband tuner to the crystal filters. I find the steep sided crystal filters to have a 'harsher' sound, and I like to know what's going on around 'MY' frequency, just at reduced levels.

I have at least two each of the R-4(any) receivers, and the B-Line is the pair on the main desk. The 7 Line is nice on the other desk, but if you can't 'dip the plate'..... The S-Line and the rest are shelved or in a closet, or the garage.

As my baby sister used to say, 'Tweechies own'!  :-)

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

y...@aol.com wrote:
Have a very nice Drake R4/T4X/ AC-4/ MS-4 all the gear is real clean and operates just fine. My question is why is the early 4 line gear worth next to nothing, when compared to the rest of the 4 line. I have owned a B-line,a C-line in the past ,both good performers,B being my choice between the two. I find the early 4 line performance ,from my ear and operation just as good as my B-line. Of course I never had the chance to run them side by side,and the mind can play tricks, they perform so close in real life operation,they seem almost the same to me. Watching QTH and Ebay I see the 4A and 4B gear go for twice the price all most all the time ,over the 4 gear. I realize that Drake made some mechanical and operational changes thru the years,but basic radio performance is not that different. I had a full Drake/Sherwood C line , and it was the BEST of the lot,but they will go for BIG $$$ used. I was just curious, so I thought I would as a few others opinions .
thanks for reading.
dale wt4t