Paul -

Yes, the adjuster for the NOTCH is 'springy' like the Passband Tuner slugs. The backlash is usually negligible if the cam slider surface is clean and lightly lubricated.

Seems a little strange. Any 'play' in the front ball bearings is adjusted out with the hex set screw accessible from the back end, just like the C.

Since it's only 'UP', I wonder if all three of the spade bolt nuts that hold the PTO in the receiver are tight??

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Paul Christensen wrote:
Just noticed two very slight anomalies with my R-4B:

1) There's a small bit of Notch control backlash; and

2) There's a very small amount of VFO knob upward movement but no side-to-side, nor downward movement. The slight upward movement does not affect frequency stability.

Is this normal for the R-4B?  I detect neither issue with my R-4C.  Tnx!

Paul, W9AC