On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:36 AM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>  One other thing, the blue filters in the dials were not the correct gel.
> When dimmed the dials became unreadable and were pretty dim even with the
> dial lamps at full brightness. I took the filters out and will eventually
> replace them with the correct Lee gelatins.

I know it's a matter of taste and correctness, but I have good luck replacing
blubs with LED "bulbs". These look like bulbs, and plug into the same sockets.
I used a white one and two blue ones in my SPR-4.

It probably does not look "right", but I never saw it in the first place, I got
it when it was 35 years old. The white bulb is too blue compared to a #47.
There is a place in Pennsylvania that sells "warm" white LED bulbs to replace
#47s, but they don't ship overseas, so I'll just suffer with what I have. :-)

It's slightly off topic, I've also replaced them in TEN-TEC rigs too. My ARGO
509 has an LED bulb illuminating its S-meter and I have LED's waiting to
replace the dial lights. If I had them when I restrung the dial cord, I would
of replaced them then, but I did not, and I see no need to replace working
bulbs, especially when it requires removing the front cover.

73,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.