To: "Steve Wedge" <w1es1...@earthlink.net>
Cc: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] R-4A PTO: It wasn't the transistors

Steve -

Yes, the PreMixer signal (V8) (BAND minus PTO) is the one that is piped back and forth between the two units.

All you have to do is listen to the PTO signal itself on a separate receiver. "0" on the dial = 5.455 MHz, "500" = 4.955. The BFO crystal is 5.595 MHz. The BFO is a tube, V3, which I believe we swapped way back towards the beginning of this odyssey!! I also thought you had put a counter on the PTO, but I guess that's another 'project'. :-) I typically have three or four of these eMail projects going at one time, which is why I like to keep the entire thread together. Makes it easier to go back occasionally just to review just what path got us 'here'! :-)

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Steve Wedge wrote:
You know, Garey, I've been thinking about the xtal oscillator. It would have to be part that doesn't get bandswitched - which would include THAT transistor.

When the T-4X controls the frequency, it sounds great and never jumps frequency. In looking at the schematic, I have been aware that the two solid-state oscillators (PTO and LO for the band) get mixed in V8 (IIRC) and that this combination gets overridden by the output of the T-4X's premixer.

Looks like I am going to need a counter to find out. I am loathe to dig into the T-4X because it's working so well and the PTO is much more difficult to remove from it due to the volume of wires in the area.

73,

Steve, W1ES