----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Shorney" <jshor...@inebraska.com>
To: "drakelist" <Drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] AF output tube in R4A

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:34:03 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote:

    Note: do people on this list prefer top replies or
bottom?  I got a private e-mail asking me to change to top
posting so I am trying it.

It varies. In the dialup BBS scene where I cut my online teeth, bottom posting was the standard. It also follows the flow of the conversation. Top posting is lazinesss in some cases, but seems to have become the preferred method in the
business world because it creates a "paper trail".

Whatever. You will never get any group of two or more people to agree on using one method or the other. I just use what seems appropriate for the individual message, depending on content and length of reply, and whether interleaving
makes sense.

More important IMO is I REALLY wish people would learn to trim replies and use
apostrophes correctly....

73

This time on the bottom. I feel the same way, that is that bottom posting carries the thread better. But, most of the replies I've gotten want it on top. Either is easy to do so, perhaps I will do both. I do try to snip where it seems to be appropriate. Sometimes it seem necessary to leave most of a thread in order that the meaning is clear but often not. I think sometimes there are no real rules about punctuation; there are so many variations; who are the experts? Ideally, punctuation should help interpreting the meaning of the sentence. I sometimes see punctuation that stops me cold, it shouldn't do that. I use semi-colons a lot; not sure if I really use them correctly. A comma will usually do but sometimes one wants something with more separation. I was taugh that correct usage and punctuation was important and that people would judge you by it. I think now that I was simply taught to be an intellectual snob. Anyone can be one, you don't need a lot of money or an impressive wardrobe.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles