Don't think that the MC1496 version of the 2nd IF/AF card will solve all
problems. I have two TR-7s, one with the MC1496 and the other with the diode
product detector. After some other "modifications," the MC1496 IF board sounded
somewhat worse than the diode detector card. Namely, if one copies a weak CW
signal, a good receiver will output to the speaker a weak signal with some
noise. However, the TR7s (and my other Drake receivers before "modification")
sounded mushy as if the signal and the noise were intermodulating.

The problem with the Drake design of the MC1496 implementation is the removal
of the BFO amplifier used in the diode design. The BFO signal from the
PBT/Reference Board is only 80 mV p-p (TR-7 service manual data). That is about
30 mV rms. If one looks at the Motorola Data Sheet for the MC1496 in product
detector service, the suggested BFO level is 300 mV rms. The curves for
modulator operation show a knee at approximately 100 mV rms for the carrier
level where the output levels off above 100 mV rms. To me, that means the BFO
should be at least 100 mV rms (280 mV p-p) at pin 10 or about 10-dB greater
than what is available.

For my particular 2nd IF/ AF board with the MC1496, I changed R1172 to 4.7k
from 47-Ohms and inserted a ferrite broadband RF transformer with a 6:1 turns
ratio between the pin 11-40 BFO input and the MC1496. I don't recall the exact
increase in the audio output level (6-dB comes to mind) but the distortion
caused by under injection was greatly reduced. The BFO signal might use more
increase but what the transformer and R1172 changes afforded are good enough.
Any more increase could be one of those diminishing returns things.

There are other changes I have made to my TR-7s to make them sound good. I may
be 68-years old but I don't especially like the "soft vacuum tube distortion"
sound. Distortion is distortion, period. A CW note should sound like "a note"
and not some mushy representation of same.

The AM detector in the TR-7 and R-4C also need modification. Without the mods,
the distortion is around 10% at 1-kHz tone at 60% modulation level. With my
mods, the same distortion is around 1%.

Then there's the poppy Drake AGC on CW but that's an entirely different story
(for which I have "modifications").

Anyone interested in the schematics for the changes, contact me off the list.
The schematics are in the Express PCB format (free from the company and easy
and intuitive to use).

73,

Bob K9JU