----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Cunningham" <d...@martineer.net> To: "Fred or Ski" <wb8...@frontier.com>; "drakelist" <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] R4B PTO indicator...

Ski,
I haven't done this, but saw a "hint" once that you could reverse the leads on the neon lamp and get more useful life out of it. Might be worth a try if you don't have a spare. Sometimes it's just a dirty switch contact on the "transceive" switch in the T4XC too.
73,
Don, WB5HAK

Revesing the leads is about as much work as replacing the lamp and I am not sure it works. Lamps are available cheap, a few dollars for a box of ten. Changing them requires removing the front panel, not difficult. The strike voltage goes up on old lamps and also the lamps get dimmer, old ones become blackened just like incandescant lamps. With some care you can re-use the insulating sleeving. A warning: the spacers for the panels are easy to loose. I work in a shallow box to hold any small parts that want to go flying.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles