Good point, although turn-on current surge is what blows most components. Ever had a light bulb 'just go out' while you were using it??

Listen to the power transformer 'clunk' at turn on in just about any AC powered equipment. And your point about 'heat and reheat' is actually as much an argument for leaving them on, with proper cooling, than the thermal cycling. We tried out best at NASA back in the 60's to kill gear with temperature cycling. All my 4-Line radios in the RTTY station had small fans either on or behind them and you could rest your hand on top of the cabinet over the T-4X PA after a 30 minute+ transmission at full power.

I think if you use a radio for an hour after dinner, then yeah, turn it off when you go in to watch 'American Idol' or whatever. But if you're in and out of the shack during the day and evening, leaving the gear (especially tube gear) on is probably easier on everything. But the power bill!! When I was running my autostart RTTY stations, TVA electricity was about 0.75 CENTS a kWH!

And yes, Evan..... A CORRECT fuse (or 'A' fuse!) is a necessity!! Even if it's in the twin fuse wall plug!!!! :-)

Interesting discussion.......

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

David wrote:
I essentially turn it on for use.  I see no need to heat and reheat
components.  Heat is a major Drake killer.  Use and enjoy them, when done
turn them off.

David Assaf, III
W5XU