----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil M Califano" <cchange...@yahoo.com>
To: <Drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 5:05 PM
Subject: [Drakelist] Changing crystal frequency

Someone I know used to write on crystals with a pencil claiming the frequency could be changed. Is this true or an urban legend, because graphite is crystalline?

Its true but not because pencil is graphite. A crystal is a mechanical oscillator! The frequency is determined by the mass and thickeness of the crystal along with the "cut". Crystals are cut from large crystals which are grown. the angle at which the crystal is sliced in relation to its axis determines the mode of oscillation and many other properties including temperature coefficient. The nature of piezeo electric materials is that they generate a voltage when deformed and will deform if subjected to a voltage difference across the appropriate face of the crystal. Anything on the surface will influence the resonant frequency including the any dirt. Old time crystals were simply blocks of crystal cut to the right angle and placed loosely between two electrodes. They could be varied in frequency a little by the pressure of the electrodes and some crystal holders were made with an adjustment to get a short range of frequencies. Crystals can also be varied by abrasive treatment or adding something to the surface to increase the mass. A pencil mark does this. In the days when crystals were quite expensive there were a lot of articals in ham magazines about how to make your own. After WW-2, when lots of crystals became available surplus, there were numerous articles on how to convert military crystals to ham frequencies and kits with the necessary abrasives were sold. Modern crystals are usually grown and are made with cuts not known sixty years ago. For instance, its possible to make a crystal with zero temperature coefficient over a very wide range. I have not done a web search for piezio electric crystals but I am sure there must be a decent tutorial on them. There was some controversey about just who originated the use of crystals for control of oscillators but the two most likely were A. M. Nicholson and W.G.Cady, the latter of Bell Labs. I think Cady got the patent but Nicholson was probably actually first. Cady's application give much more detail on how to make an actual oscillator, that is probably why he was recognized as the inventor.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles