----- Original Message ----- From: "Arthur Delibert" <radio7...@msn.com>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:01 AM
Subject: [Drakelist] So if crystals change frequency ...

...what about crystal filters? We're all using crystal filters in our rigs that are as old as the crystals that we're talking about replacing. Do the crystals in the filters also drift over time, shifting the passband (or distorting it, if the crystals in it don't all drift at the same rate)? Is the drift just too small to worry about in the case of a filter?

Thanks for any insights.

Art Delibert
KB3FJO

I was able to find out quite a bit about crystals by doing Google searches for both quartz crystals and crystal filters. I did not find a comprehensive explanation of why crystals change frequency but it does seem that its a matter of the crystal lattice structure changing due to: impurities, mechanical shock, dirt, perhaps oxidation, and other things. Modern crystals are adjusted by frequency by chemical etching rather than mechanical grinding which yields a more uniform surface which is less prone to changes in the structure of the surface. They are also fine-adjusted by control of the plating which forms the electrodes. For many years the most stable crystals used evacuated containers. Even with all these changes crystals still change with age. Filters are quite critical of the exact characteristics of the crystals that make them up. Slight changes in either series or parallel resonance or the spacing of the two affect all the filter properties; bandwidth, shape and flatness of the pass band, spurious responses outside of the passband. The more complex the filter (the more poles) the more sensitive it is to changes in value. According to one article, both ceramic and mechanical filters are more stable than quartz crystal filters but neither type of resonator has the extremely high Q of quartz. In fact, any of these filters could be made using L's and C's if one could obtain a sufficiently high Q. It is the enormous Q available from quartz and other essentially mechanical resonators which makes these filters possible. But, its also the high Q that makes these devices so sensitive to small changes in values. Probably the best sourc of theoretical information on quartz crystals remains W.G.Cady's old book but its highly technical and mathematical. There is a ton of literature on complex filter design, mostly also highly mathematical. While the Bell System used astonishingly complex filters for carrier telephone service in the 1950's calculating them without modern computers must have been extremely difficult and manufacturing them a tour-de-force.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles