On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:15:10 -0700, Jim Pruitt wrote:

>It has been a long time (pronounced 3 DECADES ) since I did the mod on my TR7
>as well.  I do remember that I did a bit more looking and found that there is
>a male pin sticking up from the motherboard and is the transmit inhibit  line
>(going to Q9001 as I recall).  So I put a piece of spaghetti/insulation/heat
>shrink tubing over that male pin.  That stopped it from making contact when
>the DR7 was plugged in.  That saved having to cut that trace and then jumper
>the break when/if I get rid of the TR7.

The same thing can be accomplished by clipping the insulated jumper wire on the
(old version) digital control board. Exactly the same as the Q9001 mod. A
seperate trace cut on the digital control board is required to enable TX
coverage in the 2.5 and 5.0 MHz bands. As noted before, this method preserves
the Out Of Lock TX disable signal, which the mod published by DRAKE does not!
For this reason, I do not recommend doing it the "official" Drake way, and have
in fact removed that mod from a couple of rigs and re-did them with this
method. Interestingly, my TR-7 had been all-banded with the Q9001 mod, and I
had noticed that it didn't TX in the 2.5 and 5.0 bands, but never gave it any
thought because there weren't ham frequencies there at the time. Now, of
course, there is a 5 MHz allocation.

73

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he
will learn for a lifetime."

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney
http://www.nebraskaghosts.org