Paul -

Congratulations!! Not rocket science, but very specific procedure for accomplishing a 'rebuild'.

You mention a TR-4... Don't forget that the T-4X(any) is a 500 kHz PTO, while the TR-(any) is a 600 kHz PTO!!

St Charles, IL

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Paul Gerhardt wrote:
PTO is reassembled today.
I used a very small amount of auto grease on the end of an exacto
knife to place the bearings in the race.  Of course, I did it three
times because, if you leave the dial on, both the 'stop' rod and the
idler rod for the plastic gear must be in place BEFORE you reinstall
the Dial Shaft and Bearings.  As I had not soldered the other end of
the braid I put a hole in the end of the braid and tinned it.  The
other end of the braid went under one of the screw heads that holds
the circuit board down.  Hopefully this will work fine.  The excess
grease (of which there is hardly any) was wiped off from around the
bearing race. There were ten balls in the race.

Hooking up the PTO yielded a signal on the counter and I ran the dial
back and forth several times adjusting the 'stop' point until the PTO
was covering 4.9 to 5.5.  The gears feel good and the stops are
working at the correct points.

The PTO seems ready to go back into a radio. I have three more I could
and probably should do but the TR-4 has a 'Jumpy' PTO and my original
intent was to just swap this one but I may tear it down after I pull
it and see if I can give it the same cleaning and reassembly and see
it it improves.

Put a few more pix of it on the blog.

Thanks for all the input.