Hi All,

The manual for my T-4X states that stability is "LESS THAN 100 CYCLES AFTER
WARM-UP". My question is simply this: how long, exactly, is an accepted period
of "....warm-up"...?

After all of the hoops that I've jumped through in stabilizing the PTO in my
rig (re-buiding it almost, actually!), I decided this morning to actually
measure its drift. I used my ICOM 751A transceiver (in general coverage mode)
as the frequency "umpire", and tuned it directly to the Drake PTO's output
frequency of 5454.0-KHz. Both rigs were in the basement overnight, where the
ambient room temperature was 59F. I measured the frequency a total of SIX
times, i.e. (1) immediately at the start of the test, (2) 3 minutes into the
test, (3) 15 minutes into the test, (4) 30 minutes into the test, (5) 1 hour
into the test, and finally (6) two hours into the test...

Here are my results:

(1) 5454.0-KHz (cold start);

(2) 5454.0-KHz (unchanged from cold start);

(3) 5453.5-KHz (downward drift of 500-Hz from cold start);

(4) 5453.0 KHz (downward drift of 1-KHz from cold start);

(5) 5452.8-KHz (downward drift of 1.2-KHz from cold start), and,

(6) 5452.8-KHz (unchanged).

So---it looks like the rascal that I have here stabilizes after a good hour of
steady warm-up, which leads me to suspect that maybe "warm-up" to the writer of
the manual was, in fact, just that, i.e. one hour...?

No matter, it was a most interesting exercise---and I sure would be curious if
my rig's performance might match that of some of the other T-4Xs that are out
there...although I dare say, probably not everyone has as thick a hide as I do
in being able to withstand a 59F ambient room temperature...! Hi Hi.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ