Ferris -

1. Normal

2. This adjustment is to compensate for the capacitance of the IF cable. This is the coaxial part of the leads. Be sure the 2-BQ is OFF and in NOTCH position. If you have replaced the IF cable it may be the wrong type or too long or short. If original it should peak, although it is a very broad peak.

3. Again, possible IF cable trouble. The cable is tied directly to the Grid of the 3rd Mixer, and if it shorts, it kills the receiver! Next time it does it, just pull the connector with power one and see if it comes back immediately. If it does, then there is a problem, most likely with the IF cable or it's connector.

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Ferris Jennings wrote:

Gents (and Ladies) -

I’m trying to align a very nice Drake 2-BQ and have a few questions:

1-When I switch on the 2B, the 12AX7 in the 2-BQ glows very bright for a second, then quickly fades to two tiny glows. Is this normal? The tube diagram shows two filaments, but not sure about this burst of light at power on.

2-Attempting to do the alignment procedure as provided in the 2B manual; attempting to adjust L2 of the 2BQ to get a peak S-meter reading does nothing - the meter doesn’t go up or down. I’ve gone roughly a turn CW and CCW from the initial position, and nothing. Any comments?

3-Twice this has happened in the past ten hours of operation; after a few hours, with the 2-BQ connected, the 2B seems to lose all sensitivity and audio out. Moving the Preselector doesn’t increase output noise, nor does cranking the AF Gain full CW. If I switch off the 2B, unplug the 2-BQ, then switch on the 2B, things return to normal. I have switched out all the tubes; still happened.

All in all, both the 2B and 2-BQ seem to work great even with the above concerns. Any help from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.

73

Ferris

NB6T