Couldn't have happened to something with 6146's - would have not been expensive
enough ;-)

At least you found it.  That's when stuff starts getting expensive.

A lot of times, when an SB-220 would get a parasitic, that grid choke would get
zorched.  By the time that choke opened up, the grid was usually a goner and
would short to the plate.  I'd always have to sacrifice one 30 ohm resistor to
test and make sure the tube was truly now just a lamp base and have to say that
it was 100% of the time.

Lots of controversy about AG6K and his suppressors.  I've talked to the guy at
length and he's not making a killing on those kits.  He's very self-assured,
but the stuff I've read tells me that he has reason to be.  I saw loads of
SB-220's with fried chokes, pitted tuning caps, fried relays and bandswitches
and knew these were not all due to cockpit error.  I even did a TL-922 with
that kit once.  You think the Heath parts were expensive...

W1ES